Take something you love, and make it even more delicious.
A couple of years ago I enjoyed a little summer jaunt in Venice where I fell in love with the Aperol Spritz. Bellinis aside, I think it is THE aperitif of Venice. All you need is aperol, prosecco, a slice of orange and a whole lotta ice! And then a splash of sparkling water if you’re drinking them fast. You can put it in a wine glass, a tumbler, a martini glass. You can drink it straight out of the carafe. It is bitter and sweet, cold and refreshing, and cools the cockles of your heart.
In many gelato shops and cafes of Venice you will also find lemon granita. Many are overly yellow, filled with preservatives, fake lemon flavour and way way too much sugar. The odd few are sour and icy and delicious. So what if we combined the best of both and created an aperol spritz granita? Now THAT is a plan.
Aperol Spritz Granita
- 3/4 cup Aperol (or Campari)
- 1 cup Prosecco
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup sparkling mineral or soda water
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the aperol, prosecco and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Do not boil.
- Add the orange juice and mineral water and stir.
- Pour into a large plastic container, cover and place in the freezer overnight. The next day, use a fork to break up the ice crystals and place back in the freezer for an additional 6 hours.