Get Ready for The Shabbat Project: #KeepingItTogether
The girls of the Monday Morning Cooking Club have put together a video for #theshabbatproject (#theshabbosproject) to ensure that Shabbat can be spent with family and friends rather than standing in the kitchen. It is a three course non-dairy lunch, all of which can be made ahead of time for Shabbat. We have a video for you to watch as well as a Shopping List and Preparation post.
Egg and Onion is the perfect starter for Shabbat lunch alongside challah and dill pickles. This recipe comes from Lisa Goldberg, chief pot stirrer of the Monday Morning Cooking Club, originally published along with the ‘Egg and Onion’ story in Monday Morning Cooking Club – the food the stories the sisterhood (2011).
Egg and Onion
- 3 large brown onions chopped
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 12 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt and extra, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and extra, to taste
- Put the onions and oil in a large frying pan and fry for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown and very soft. Meanwhile, boil the eggs for 8–10 minutes until hard-boiled. Remove the pan from the heat, drain and then cover the eggs with cold water. When just cool enough to handle, peel the eggs and grate into a large bowl using the coarse side of a grater.
- Spoon the onions onto the egg, leaving most of the oil in the pan. Season generously with salt and pepper, and combine the onions and egg with your hands or a wooden spoon, tasting as you go. If too dry, add a little oil from the pan. The mixture should stick together if pressed with your hand, but should not be overly oily.
- Cover with plastic wrap until ready to serve, pressing the wrap onto the surface of the egg and onion so it doesn’t dry out. Keep at room temperature if using the same day, otherwise refrigerate. Serve with challah or bagels.
Need to see the #UltimateShabbatLunch video and recipes on one page? It’s right here.
#UltimateShabbatLunch: Cinnamon Apple Pie
#UltimateShabbatLunch: Shopping List and Prep Sheet
#TheShabbatProject: Challah recipe and video
Did you love this recipe? It’s from my family’s kitchen and was first published in “Monday Morning Cooking Club” .