Monday Morning Cooking Club: Celebrating Summer and Stone Fruit
(and a little bit of wine)
This is a fabulous summer drink, perfect for serving on a sunny afternoon alongside a cheese board. And it’s even better with a view!
Feel free to vary the amount of fruit, really depending on whether you want an alcoholic fruit salad or a light refreshing, slightly alcoholic drink with some fruit in it. Always serve on ice and provide a spoon to reach those stubborn bits of fruit at the bottom of your glass.
Note: Start this recipe one day ahead.
- 1 Kilogram summer stone fruit - cherries, apricots, plums, nectarines, peaches
- 3/4 cup white (sweet) vermouth such as Cinzano Bianco
- 1 bottle dry white wine such as sauvignon blanc
- 1 bottle sparkling mineral water or soda water 1 litre
- 3/4 cup lemon or lime juice cordial
- Remove the stones from all the fruit except for the cherries. Chop the fruit into large dice and put into a large bowl or container. Pour over the vermouth and wine. Refrigerate 24 hours.
- Just before serving, add the mineral water and then the cordial to taste.
- Pour into a large jug (you may need two) and add ice to serve.
- Don't forget to remind your guests that the cherries still have their stones.