Heirloom Tomato Salad with Feta Dressing
- 2 kg assorted heirloom tomatoes mixed colors and sizes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 200 g feta cheese crumbled, 7 oz
- 125 ml extra virgin olive oil 1/2 cup
- 30 ml red wine vinegar 1 1/2 tablespoons
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 avocado,
- 1/2 red onion finely sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the larger tomatoes into thick slices and halve or quarter the smaller ones. Place them onto a serving plate alternating color and sizes and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- To make the dressing, in a large bowl, whisk together half the feta with the oil, vinegar, garlic and oregano until just combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Peel and slice the avocado and place it on top of the tomato. Top with the onion.
- Pour the dressing over the salad.
- Sprinkle with the remaining feta and serve.
Note: The dressing keeps well for up to 2 weeks in a jar in the refrigerator.
This recipe was first published in our third book, It’s Always About the Food. It came to us from the kitchen of Michele Wise.