A Monday Morning Cooking Club Treat
These crumb cookies are simply wonderful, somewhere between a plain biscuit (cookie) and a jam slice. The recipe comes from the kitchen of Dina Kaufman and first appeared in ‘Monday Morning Cooking Club – the food, the stories, the sisterhood‘ (2011). This is a treasured recipe passed down from Dina’s mother to Dina, which she has now passed down to her own daughters.
Mum's Crumb Cookies
- 375 grams plain flour (all purpose) flour (2 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 200 grams butter (unsalted) at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 110 grams Caster (Superfine) Sugar (1/2 cup)
- 500 grams pitted dates
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- icing (confectioners) sugar to serve
- Grease and flour (or line) a 33 x 23 cm baking tin.
- To make the dough, mix all the dough ingredients together, preferably in a food processor, until it forms a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into two parts: two-thirds and one-third. Wrap the smaller portion in plastic wrap and put in the freezer for 2 - 3 hours.
- Press the remaining two-third portion of dough into the base of the prepared tin so it is evenly distributed.
- Preheat the oven to 200℃ (375℉).
- To make the filling, place all filling ingredients in a food processor and process until a paste is formed. Spread evenly on the base dough.
- Using the coarse side of a grater, grate the frozen dough over the filling.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the crumbs become golden. Allow to cool then cut into diamonds or squares. Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving. Keeps well in an airtight container.
- Other filling options include 1 cup povidl (plum) jam (pictured); 250 g chocolate hazelnut spread; 4 granny smith apples, grated and mixed with 1/2 cup sugar, zest of 1 lemon and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.