Monday Morning Cooking Club and #LetsLunch – Pickle Time!
Once every month, I post a recipe as part of the virtual lunch table known as #LetsLunch.
Anyone interested can join this monthly ‘lunch date’ at any time. I adore all the posts from the U.S but would really love to see more Aussies be a part of it!
A topic is posted at the beginning of the month (everyone now takes it in turns) and all posts are made on the same day by this random but lovely group of food bloggers, writers and people who just love cooking from all around the world. Anyone can join at any time – just join us on twitter by searching and adding the hashtag #LetsLunch. At the end of the post I will add all the posts on this topic, once posted!
The topic this month is pickles! Check out the amazing posts from the #LetsLunch folk right here….soon. Who wants to join in next month?
Many years ago, when I first moved to Sydney, I went to a great Japanese cooking class given by Jane Arakawa. We learnt how to make wonderful sushi, the best chicken yakitori I’d ever tasted and Japanese pickles.
The pickles are quick to make, healthy to snack and really moreish. Ask the Monday Morning Cooking Club girls just how many jars of these we have scoffed through our meetings over the years….
- 6 carrots peeled, quartered lengthways and halved crossways
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 clove garlic
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- 1/3 cup rice wine or white vinegar
- Mix together all the ingredients except the carrots in a large jar. Add the carrots to the liquid in the jar, put the lid on and refrigerate for at least one day. Remove the garlic after one day. Ready to eat!