These wonderful honey biscuits come from the kitchen of Ruth Breckler in Perth. We love them! We quite fancy them a few days after baking when they start to get a little soft. They are PERFECT with a cuppa! These biscuits are very special to Ruth as the recipe originates from her late mother and grandmother. Always a firm family favourite, it was a recipe that was never shared – they always enjoyed baking and giving the biscuits as gifts on Rosh Hashanah. Ruth and her sister have now decided to pass the recipe on in their mum’s memory. We are so thrilled and honoured that the girls agreed to share their precious recipe with the Monday Morning Cooking Club so we can now share it with the world. The recipe was first published in The Feast Goes On in 2014.
Ruth's Honey Biscuits
- 60 grams Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 420 grams Plain (All purpose) Flour (3 scant cups)
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch Ground Cloves
- 1 egg white lightly whisked for glazing
- In an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Warm the honey gently in a saucepan or in the microwave until lukewarm, then add to the butter mixture. Add the egg and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and cloves. Beat into the butter mixture on a low speed until a soft dough forms. Shape the dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap. Rest in the freezer for one hour, or the fridge for 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line two baking trays.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured benchtop to about 5 mm thick, then cut out shapes with a biscuit cutter and place on the prepared trays, well spaced to allow for spreading. Brush with the egg white and bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on the baking trays. Store in an airtight container for up to one month.
[box]Don’t forget to check out our complete Rosh Hashanah Menu Guide.
Did you love this post?
Want to keep up with the Monday Morning Cooking Club girls?
Click here to subscribe![/box]