A Soup For All Seasons
Many of us have been cooking, eating, eating and cooking over the past week or so, whether we have been celebrating Passover, Easter or simply the long weekend. We all overindulge from time to time, some of us more than others (pick me, pick me!)
And there are times when we need to give the strudels, kugels, chiffon cakes and baklava a break and nurture our bodies with something warm, delicious and simply good for us.
Since I’ve been following a healthier eating plan to lose a few of the KGs I gained from 8 years of SUPER DELICIOUS AND UNABLE TO RESIST recipe testing, this recipe has been a godsend. The soup comes from the amazing Saimaa Miller from Aussie Body Diet and she has given me permission to share the soup love around. Her gorgeous book has so many wonderful, simple and always healthy food ideas.
It makes an excellent meal if you add some shredded grilled chicken and brown rice, or a lovely, filling snack in the afternoon. Enjoy!
Did you love this post? Want to keep up with the Monday Morning Cooking Club girls? Click here!
- 1 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove bruised
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1.5 litres water
- 1 bunch silverbeet chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan. Fry the onion for 2 to 3 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring well.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to the boil. Add the chopped vegetables and the onion/spices and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender until it has a smooth consistency. Season well with salt and pepper to taste.