SUPERMARKET “ROAST CHICKEN” HOISIN NOODLES
One of our favourite (and we think most talented!) food bloggers (as well as graphic designer and creative supremo) is Sneh Roy of Cook Republic. Her work is superb. She has her first book out just this month (it had same launch date as ours!) – Tasty Express – and we’ve already read our copy cover to cover. It is delicious!
We are all looking for quick weeknight dinners, particularly after the feasting of Passover and Easter.
It’s just so easy to just pick up a BBQ chicken from the local chicken shop/supermarket/shopping centre (and many are now using organic chooks!) and here is Cook Republic‘s great idea to transform it into a really great simple meal. Use this recipe as a starting point and then go ahead and play with different vegetables, noodles and protein.
Did you love this post? Want to keep up with the Monday Morning Cooking Club girls? Click here!
Supermarket roast chicken hoisin noodles
- 4 packets instant noodles (400g), cooked, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded roast chicken
- 1 large carrot , julienned
- 1 red onion ,halved and thinly sliced
- 1 green capsicum (pepper) ,thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced white cabbage
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt and white pepper ,to taste
- 1/2 cup green spring onions (shallots) ,sliced for garnish
- To cook the noodles, bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add the packet noodles and cook for 2-4 minutes until just tender and softened. Remove from heat and drain the hot water. Rinse the cooked noodles in cold water several times to stop the cooking process. Drain all water and lightly toss with a drizzle of peanut oil. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok on high. Add carrot, onion and capsicum. Sauté for a couple of minutes until vegetables are glazed. Add the roast chicken, cabbage, vinegar, hoisin sauce and soy sauce. Add the cooked noodles and toss gently to coat the noodles with the sauce evenly. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for a few minutes until heated through.
- Serve hot, garnished with shallots.