A Delicious Starter for Summer Entertaining
Michael, one of my seven nephews, is a chef. We love talking food and eating out together, in fact he came along on my recent amazing food trip to Tennessee and we had a ball.
A few years ago we had Friday night dinner together in Melbourne, where he lives, and he whipped up this divine Spicy Wasabi Tuna Tartare. Imagine my disappointment that I missed the week before when he smoked and BBQ’d his own brisket!
One bite of the tuna tartare and I was hooked. Michael has so kindly shared his recipe, a recipe inspired by his time at Coda in Melbourne.
He served the tartare with charcoal lavosh – super crisp, jet black crackers which were the perfect accompaniment. Any cracker would do, but these took it to another level.
If you want to make this dish ahead, mix everything together except the wasabi mayo and then just before serving, mix it through.
Michael's Spicy Wasabi Tuna Tartare
- 200 grams Kewpie (Japanese) mayonnaise
- 1 tube prepared wasabi paste 50 grams
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Lime juiced
- 240 grams sashimi grade tuna cut into 1 cm dice
- 1/2 red banana chilli very finely chopped
- 2 spring onions (scallions) finely sliced into rounds
- 1/2 red onion very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons wasabi mayonnaise see below
- Make the wasabi mayo by mixing together the ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste with pepper and lime.
- In a medium bowl, carefully toss together all the tartare ingredients. Season to taste with extra wasabi mayo, soy or lime. Serve with crackers.