ZUCCHINI + GRUYERE GRATIN
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus extra
- 600 g zucchini sliced into thin rounds
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 pinches ground nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 g x 400tins whole tomatoes drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup Verjuice
- 6 leaves fresh or 3 dry bay
- 100 g grated gruyere cheese 1 cup
- cup ¼ fresh breadcrumbs 15 g
- 25 g grated parmesan 1/4 cup
- extra olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease a 1.5 litre (6 cup) ovenproof dish.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the zucchini on a low heat for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Add the garlic and cook for 1 - 2 minutes. Add the nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste, then transfer to the prepared dish.
- Heat the rest of the oil in the pan and cook the onion until soft, about 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes, verjuice and bay leaves, and cook until the sauce is thick and the liquid is almost evaporated, stirring regularly. Season well and remove the bay leaves.
- Sprinkle the gruyere cheese on the zucchini, then spread the tomato sauce on top. Mix the breadcrumbs and parmesan together, sprinkle over the sauce and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
From the kitchen of Ilana Mendels, this recipe first appeared in our second book, The Feast Goes On