The Monday Morning Cooking Club Kitchen Brunch
A perfect salad for breakfast or brunch. Fresh, healthy, do-ahead. And yum. The most important step in this recipe is the tasting and seasoning at the end.
I like to add smoked salmon and the usual accompaniments (lemon wedges, sliced red onion and capers), the Monday Morning Cooking Club avocado dip and a platter of halved and well seasoned cherry tomatoes with torn buffalo mozzarella, basil leaves and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
A Simple Breakfast Salad
- 1 head radicchio
- 2 handfuls baby rocket (arugula) leaves
- 4 red radishes
- 6 Brussels Sprouts
- 1/2 bunch kale
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf (Italian) parsley, leaves only
- 4 - 8 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with room temperature water. Bring to the boil and boil for exactly 3 minutes. Immediately drain and tip the eggs into a bowl filled with iced water. Allow to cool.
- Halve and wash the radicchio and slice into wide slices, keeping the core intact in each slice if possible. Thinly shave the brussels and radishes. Chop the kale. In a large salad bowl, toss the radicchio, brussels, radishes, kale, rocket and parsley.
- Drizzle the lemon juice and olive oil over the salad. Season well to taste. Slice the avocado and toss through the salad. Peel the eggs and break each egg onto the salad. Season once again before serving.