Monday Morning Cooking Club: Whole Fish
A superb recipe from Robin Sobel, a wonderful cook and contributor to ‘Monday Morning Cooking Club – The Feast Goes on’. This is the perfect recipe for entertaining – light, flavoursome and easy to prepare – and a good introduction to cooking whole fish.
Whole Roasted Snapper with Herbs
- 1.5 Kilogram whole snapper (to 2 Kg)
- 1 bunch coriander (cilantro) roughly chopped
- 1 bunch green spring onions (shallots) roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 whole lemon zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 cup flat leaf (Italian) parsley leaves roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Blend the coriander (cilantro), onions, garlic, lemon rind and juice, salt, pepper and enough of the olive oil to make a paste.
- Drizzle the bottom of the pan with a little olive oil. Cut a few slashes into the fish. Put the butter into the belly of the fish, then cover the outside all over with the paste, pushing it into the slits. Scatter the olives over the fish and roast uncovered for 20 minutes, then add the parsley and roast for 5 more minutes or until the flesh comes away from the bone. Rest for 15 minutes loosely covered with foil.
- Drizzle with olive oil to serve.
- Note: If the fish is bigger than 2 kg, we suggest the rule of 10 minutes cooking time for every kg.
We’re now on YouTube! Have you subscribed to our new recipe channel yet?