Top Menu

Join the Monday Morning Cooking Club & receive recipes & food favourites!

Sausage rolls

So what DO we eat while we watch sport on TV?

In our household, I have to be honest, we don’t watch a lot of sport. My parents’ house is a different story. You’ll always find the tellie on with horse racing, football, tennis, cricket – anything really. But the problem is they don’t eat anything while they watch. Maybe the odd apple, and that’s it. My household is the opposite. Not much sport-watching but lots of food.

So in a fantasty world where we might sit down to watch ‘The Cricket’, I can picture this: huge bowls of air-popped popcorn and a few cans of diet coke. Bowls of carrot sticks and spicy tomato salsa. Don’t be fooled. This is called saving calories in anticipation of what’s to come. Step aside diet-conscious folk, it’s time for the ultimate home made sausage roll. But with short cuts.

Ready to roll. Or is it bowl?

Ready to roll. Or is it bowl?

I start with kosher cocktail franks. I am not too sure why I think they have to be kosher except that’s what I grew up eating. They are quite delicious (bearing in mind they are casings full of goodness knows what).

You will need some puff pastry, preferably a good quality one bought from the store. Of course you could make your own, but the game is about to start and we don’t want to miss (insert name of favourite Cricket player HERE), do we?

So here is the uber-complicated recipe. Ready for it?

• 1
Servings Prep Time Cook Time
16 5 minutes 40 minutes

Ingredients

Servings:
Units:

Instructions

1. Take the franks out of the packet. Try not to eat one cold, as tempting as it is. (Not joking)
  2. Lay the pastry flat on the bench and cut the pastry so that you have sections as wide as the franks. You can roll the pastry out a little flatter if you prefer a 'less-puffy' sausage roll.
  3. Place the frank at the top of the pastry section, roll the pastry over it and paint a little egg wash on the lower side of the pastry.
  4. Roll it up and seal. Cut just past the join.
  5. Place seam side down on a lined baking sheet. Repeat with all the franks. Brush the tops with egg wash.
  6. Bake at 200C/400F until golden brown and puffed, around 30 - 40 minutes. The franks are already cooked, so it is only the pastry you need to concern yourself with!
  7. Tomato ketchup is absolutely compulsory.

So that’s it. Simple as anything, and now we can get back to the game.

They will only last a few minutes, as they are totally irresistible.

WARNING: They will only last a few minutes, and then all you’ll have is a plate of crumbs.

Did you love this recipe? Don’t miss out on our original collection in “Monday Morning Cooking Club” our latest collection in “The Feast Goes On

Did you love this post? Want to keep up with the Monday Morning Cooking Club girls? Click here!

20 Responses to Sausage rolls

1. Mel @ The cook's notebook February 8, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

I love sausage rolls – in our family we always have them for breakfast on Christmas morning. And always homemade (unless we have been away, then it’s good quality bakery ones). This year we had scrummy pork and fennel, and this post has reminded me there are still a few in the freezer. Think I’ll have to have them for lunch. I love them with tomato sauce mixed with a teeny bit of hot English mustard, or a more generous dollop of Dijon mustard.

• Lisa Goldberg March 1, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

Mel if there’s something that’s always good to have in the freezer, it’s a sausage roll for a rainy day. Hope yours were great! I’m still licking my lips from mine…yum!

2. A Tiger in the Kitchen February 8, 2013 at 4:55 pm #

Sausage rolls are just about my favorite thing — my mum used to promise them as treats for us if we did well in swim class! I’ve never made them before though…I’ll have to try your recipe! Thanks for sharing…

• Lisa Goldberg March 1, 2013 at 10:17 pm #

I bet your sausage roll had something really interesting in them Cheryl?

3. Annabelle February 9, 2013 at 12:05 am #

You know, weird though it seems, I’m not sure I’ve ever actually had a sausage roll. Yours look great, though — I might have to try that soon!

• Lisa Goldberg March 1, 2013 at 10:16 pm #

Please have a go, and let me know whatt you think?

4. HapaMama February 9, 2013 at 9:34 am #

In America, we (at least those of us with kids) call them Pigs in Blankets. Sausage roll sounds so much more elegant, especially with the puff pastry! Love the photo with the TV in the background ;)

• Lisa Goldberg March 1, 2013 at 10:16 pm #

I’m so happy someone saw my TV shot. It took quite a while as there was a break in the cricket…and we kept eating the sausage rolls while we were waiting! Thanks for noticing :)

5. Emma February 9, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

Thanks for hosting us this month, Lisa! These look so easy to make and would be fun with an array of dipping sauces. :)

• Lisa Goldberg March 1, 2013 at 10:14 pm #

It was a fun month Emma! Really easy (embarrassingly so) to make, and so delicious.

6. food February 9, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

Thanks for the great post idea Lisa. These sausage rolls are comfort food heaven and an easy delicious way to feed the hungry hoards and perfect for a day in front of the cricket!

• Lisa Goldberg March 1, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

Glad you enjoyed! I agree with you – these are definitely comfort food heaven. My mouth is still watering just thinking about that flaky puff pastry and salty frankfurt smothered in tomato ketchup….mmmm…

7. linda @spiceboxtravels February 9, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

These look lovely! Thanks for hosting this month.

• Lisa Goldberg March 1, 2013 at 10:12 pm #

Thanks Linda – it was a fun month. Can’t wait for the next!

8. Lucy February 11, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

A very elegant pig in a blanket ~ got to try these with the puff pastry! The cold sausage is the cook’s treat!

• Lisa Goldberg March 1, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

Is that what a pig in a blanket is? I never knew…although it does make sense.

9. Renee February 13, 2013 at 4:19 am #

One of my favorite snack foods of all time, these are just perfect. :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. A Trio of Salsas from Oaxaca | spicebox travels - February 9, 2013

[...] Rolls at Monday Morning Cooking Club Lucy’s Crabcakes with Chipotle Mayo and Citrus Salad at A Cook and Her [...]

2. Taiwanese Beef Sandwiches - HapaMamaHapaMama - February 13, 2013

[...] best dishes to the table. For more game day munchies, follow #LetsLunch onTwitter, or visit the Monday Morning Cooking Club for a roundup of all this month’s [...]