Top Menu

Join the Monday Morning Cooking Club & receive recipes & food favourites!

Video clip: Merelyn makes her mum’s Custard Chiffon Cake

We couldn’t resist but share this unique video. The recipe can be found on page 35 of our book. It comes from Merelyn’s mother, who gave it to Merelyn shortly before sadly passing away. Merelyn treasures this recipe like no other, and feels her mother is with her every time she makes it. Have a look at this beautiful video where you will learn all the secrets of the Chiffon Cake, and gain a special insight into a special relationship.

If you need the PERFECT chiffon tin, we now have it (after searching far and wide!!) on this website. Head straight to the shop and you could be baking by the weekend! And remember, all our profits from all sales of books and kitchen equipment go straight to charity.

, ,

10 Responses to Video clip: Merelyn makes her mum’s Custard Chiffon Cake

1. Debbi Weiss May 14, 2012 at 10:06 am #

Moved to tears. That was a really great chiffon tutorial and a beautiful tribute to a special lady.

2. Greg Weiss May 14, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

Yum yum. Loved the reference to Merelyn’s Mum and a reflection back to her childhood eating yellow cake.

3. muppy May 15, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

What a beautiful video, and wonderful story behind such a delicious recipe :) makes me think of the delicious cakes my mum would cook. it also makes me want to try this one….

4. Ruth July 2, 2012 at 10:30 am #

Best cake have been cooking for over 50 years.
    Have added the grated peel of a lemon to your recipe.
    Thank you for sharing.

• Lisa Goldberg July 3, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

Thanks Ruth – we are so pleased to hear that you love the cake. It is really one of our favourites! The lemon zest is a lovely idea. Happy baking!

5. Ruth Tenzer October 26, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

Thank you for sharing this with us. I’m really moved because it reminds me so my late mother. Am looking forward to trying these recipes. Btw I am an ex-South African living in Israel!

6. Anneka March 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm #

There is something incredibly special, warming and unique about recipes and food that is shared with love ones. Food memories are possibly one of the most powerful ones we have and should always be treasured…thank you for sharing Merelyn.

• Merelyn March 7, 2013 at 4:40 pm #

Thank you for your lovely words Anneka! Merelyn x

7. Lauren May 12, 2013 at 11:57 am #

Hi there!

Just LOVE this recipe. The flavour is fantastic. Just one small issue…. When I took it out of the oven and inverted it to cool it fell out of the pan within a minute or two. It was definitely cooked through and I followed the instructions in the cookbook exactly as written. Went and bought a specific pan for it. It rose up the sides beautifully. What could I have done wrong? Next time should I skip inverting it?

Thanks for your help, your blog and your book! I so enjoy them all!

Lauren

• Lisa Goldberg May 22, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

Hi Lauren
      This does happen occasionally when people make it for the first time – and it has happened to each of us over the years – and it happens when it is just the tiniest bit undercooked. I assume you haven’t greased the tin? (Sorry have to ask!) Try adding 15 minutes cooking time and see how you go. If that works fine, then the next time cut off 5 minutes and so on until you get the right consistency and a cake that falls in the pan. Make a note of your cooking time.
      Let me know how you go?