Kummerspeck: What’s Your Grief Bacon?
Kummerspeck literally means ‘grief bacon’. I also had no idea what it meant! It’s explained really well at cracked.com and refers to the weight one might pile on from grief-based overeating. Obvious, huh?
We’ve all been through it – those times where there is no better solace than indulging (or rather, over indulging) in fat-laden sometimes sweet often salty morsels of soothing deliciousness.
How about crawling under the covers with a spoon in one hand and in the other, an entire tub of icecream studded with caramel, chocolate and salted nuts? That will definitely work for me.
Caramel, Chocolate and Salted Peanut Ice Cream
- 1 kg vanilla ice cream (best quality, 4 cups)
- 220 g milk chocolate (Caramello), caramel filled
- 2 tbsp cream
- 37 g chocolate malted milk balls (Maltesers, Whoppers, 1/2 cup)
- 115 g Salted peanuts (3/4 cup)
- Sit the ice cream at room temperature to soften, about 15 minutes
- Lightly crush the malt balls.
- In a double boiler, melt the caramel chocolate with the cream, stirring until smooth.
- Stir the caramel, malt balls and peanuts through the ice cream and pour into a glass bowl or tub. Freeze until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Grab a spoon. Take the bowl of ice cream to your bed. Climb under the covers. Start eating. Feel better.
Let’s Lunch (#LetsLunch) is a twitter-based virtual lunch club where anyone interested can join this monthly ‘lunch date’. A topic is posted at the beginning of the month, everyone now takes it in turns, and all posts are made on the same day by this random but lovely group of food bloggers, writers and people who just love cooking from all around the world. Anyone can join at any time – just join us on twitter by searching and adding the hashtag #LetsLunch. Check out the others’ posts right here over the next few days – they are always so wonderful!
Caramel, Chocolate and Salted Peanut Ice Cream from Lisa at Monday Morning Cooking Club
Pot Stickers from Tammi at Insatiable Munchies
Sabaw ng Monggo: Mung Bean Soup with Bacon from Betty Ann at Asian in America
Dark Chocolate Vanilla Pomegranate Parfait from Linda at Spicebox Travels
Slap Yo’ Mama Brownies from Lucy at In a Southern Kitchen
“Hug-in-a-bowl” noodles from Vivian at Vivian Pei
Evil Grief Brownies from Annabelle at Glass of Fancy
Chicken Noodle Soup from Margaret at Tea and Scones
German pancakes from Cheryl at A Tiger in the Kitchen
Beef Bourguinon with kartoffelkloesse AND maple candied bacon from Karen at GeoFooding
Cold fried chicken and potato salad from Lucy at A Cook and Her Books
The Toast Truck will Serve Soft Ripened Goat Cheese from Rebecca at GrongarBlog
Did you love this post? Want to keep up with the Monday Morning Cooking Club girls? Click here!