Once you start watching Oma and Bella, a wonderful and moving film about food, friendship and survival, you are immediately drawn into the lives of Oma and Bella, and straight into their kitchen. Alexa, the filmmaker and granddaughter of Oma, is coerced into trying one of these sugar-encrusted cookies. We then see how Oma rolls, cuts, sugarcoats and bakes these biscuits, starting the thread of delicious food that weaves its way through the film.
This recipe has been shared with us by Alexa Karolinski as it appears in the delightful Oma and Bella Cookbook.
- German Sugar Cookies
- From the Oma and Bella cookbook, courtesy of Alexa Karolinski
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time||Passive Time|
|40 cookies||30 minutes||20 minutes||180 minutes|
- 250 g cream cheese (8 oz) at room temperature
- 115 g Butter (4 oz) unsalted , 1 stick, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup plain flour 115 g
- 1 whole egg white
- 1 cup coarse baking sugar (hale sugar or granelli)
- Place the butter in a bowl. Beat in the cream cheese.
- Fold in the flour and mix ingredients well so that they form a dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and shape to form into a ball.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or as long as overnight
- Preheat the oven to 350 C/175 F.
- On a floured board, roll the dough out until it is 1/4 inch /5 mm thick.
- Cut out circles with the rim of a small glass (or cookie cutter)
- Beat the egg white in a small bowl until frothy. Using a pastry brush, brush the cookies to coat one side.
- Pour the baking sugar into a bowl. Dip the wet side of each cookie into the sugar until generously coated.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet/cookie tray and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden.