Coconut Cream Cupcakes Anyone?
Living with a lactose intolerant husband has opened up a new world in the kitchen for me.
I have always been such a huge fan of cooking with full fat butter and cheese that finding an alternative was a bit of a challenge. I have never been liked to substitute margarine or soy for dairy and up to now I have steered away from coconut milk and cream, believing they were too high in bad saturated fats.
After a little research, though, I am now beginning to understand that coconut products are not necessarily as bad for you as it was once so widely believed.
One thing is for sure, it is a very complicated issue with a lot of conflicting evidence and I definitely need to continue my reading on the subject.
In the meantime, I am happily discovering curries, spicy soups and lots of sweet treats using coconut milk and cream.
To carry on my newfound love of coconut, here’s a recipe for dairy free cupcakes using coconut cream that I have adapted from Glory’s (Glorious Treats) Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes recipe.
Coconut Cream Cupcakes
By November 4, 2012Published:
- Yield: 15 cupcakes
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 15 - 20 mins
- Ready In: 25 mins
Coconut Cream Cupcakes Anyone? Living with a lactose intolerant husband has opened up a new world in the kitchen for me. I have …
- 11/4 cups plain flour
- 11/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cups raw caster sugar
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line cupcake tin with 15 cupcake liners.
- In a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- In an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar together until thick and pale.
- Slowly pour in the oil and beat until well combined.
- Pour in the flour mixture, alternating with the coconut cream, in 3 batches until just combined. Do not overbeat.
- Pour mixture into the liners about 2/3 full and bake for 15- 20 min until cakes are just turning golden.
- When completely cool, top cupcakes with icing (recipe below) and sprinkle with coconut shavings.
- Raspberry Icing - mix 1 1/2 cups of sifted icing sugar with 1/4 cup of frozen or fresh raspberries crushed to a pulp. Mix in a squeeze or two of lemon juice.